Author Topic: Server move  (Read 2431 times)

The Commodore

• CinC StarFleetUK
    • MSN Messenger - kingemissary@btinternet.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tf7co
    • View Profile
    • StarFleetUK
    • Email
Server move
« on: October 29, 2015, 02:13:14 AM »
If your site goes offline, it's because there's a server move take place but I'm forewarning.  Due to a periodical update of Plesk over the months; there's a rogue one that caused users not able to see their sites from their locality whilst I could see them all the time.  It was once reported by a member acting as a third party, a number of months ago but was unwilling to provide any diagnostic information or provide the details of the user that was suffering the problems.  Therefore I had to refuse them any support....however, this month, two users had approached with a problem and they were happy to provide diagnostic information which has now led me to this route of changing the server.  This will take a while to do but it should be seamless and you wont/shouldn't notice the changeover.  It is just a server change rather than a server hosting provider move.

Going forward from this, there will be server changes on a yearly basis or when the server provider makes a more significant change.  Server OS updates will continue but plesk control panel updates will cease and I'll run off the latest server install from the provider.  That's more trusting that doing automatic updates using on plesk.  But thank you for your patience and apologies to any users that have tolerated it and haven't said a thing or simply moved hosting sites.

-The commodore
Commodore StarFleetUK

Ixion

• Account Holder
    • View Profile
    • USS Marionette
Re: Server move
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:27:21 AM »
Yearly basis? O.o;;;;;;

Why?

The Commodore

• CinC StarFleetUK
    • View Profile
    • StarFleetUK
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
Because I can take advantage of the plesk software updates that the server provider verifies rather than ad hoc plesk updates from a plesk vendor that ruins customer control panels for them ending up in the server move that's in progress.  It's a simple thing, updating plesk based on whenever plesk releases updates would include phpmyadmin and php updates along with database updates.  This way round, I can backup databases and should be able to restore databases just the same....well with less difficulty.  As well as that, I get a better updated server and a faster one, depending on what's released.  The previous server had CentOS 6 to which I updated to 6.7 (final) and plesk was on V12.0.0 to which had periodical updates but would not update to V12.5.30 and then some inherent configuration file issue from an earlier update which corrupted the web files base meaning that users couldn't see their sites from their locations (whereas I could all the time).  Which leads me to the conclusion that the stock image from the server provider is the good and trusted one; any CentOS updates are also good and trusted but Plesk isn't which seems to be down to which repository it is picking up it's updates.  So on that note, that requires research that I haven't the time for right now.  But will later.  It will be kept alive whilst I find out where to make the changes, then subsequently deleted (why have a CentOS 6.7 when there's a fully working CentOS 7.......lol)
Commodore StarFleetUK

The Commodore

• CinC StarFleetUK
    • View Profile
    • StarFleetUK
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
The server move is complete.  Any problems, just hola.
Commodore StarFleetUK

The Commodore

• CinC StarFleetUK
    • View Profile
    • StarFleetUK
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:50:03 AM »
Email preferences in nova not keeping the tick?

All nova installs will be upgraded to nova 2.4.5.
Commodore StarFleetUK

The Commodore

• CinC StarFleetUK
    • View Profile
    • StarFleetUK
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
UPDATE:

Database data is missing during the transfer.  Backups are being restored by the data table as the backup databases will not restore properly onto the new server.  Therefore it is being done by the table entry values.  Any table that is mismatched in terms of how much data is in the table from one server to another; that table in that database is emptied and refreshed.  This will take a lot of time to go through all the databases to cross reference with the backups.
Commodore StarFleetUK

The Commodore

• CinC StarFleetUK
    • View Profile
    • StarFleetUK
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:55:42 AM »
UPDATE:

Database comparisons complete ie checked every single database against the backup and there were discrepancies in 3 of them, so those were refreshed so all members that have had missing data; should see them now.

Those that shout the loudest get served first so there was a file permissions issue on one site where the images weren't displaying or inaccessible so that was corrected.  After which, all the other sites were checked for file permissions issues and there were none.

Nova updates, haven't done those yet but also need to check a table in the nova databases which I neglected to get around to doing.  Those that don't get automated emails when they post; please try checking the email tick boxes in their preferences and if they don't tick and stay ticked after then there's an entry in the database that needs correcting.  I haven't been aware of this problem but something I came across when going through them and interactions with website owners.  It seems to be historical, not with the server but with nova versions; so the email_prefs table in the databases across the server needs checking and then modified.
Commodore StarFleetUK

The Commodore

• CinC StarFleetUK
    • View Profile
    • StarFleetUK
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
UPDATE:

Went through email entries and the issue only applied to one site so I was mistaken.

Nova updates pending and 2 forum issues.
Commodore StarFleetUK